In Thailand, you will find them on sale from portable roadside stalls and Markets at almost every hour of the day and night and these deliciously sweet treats are a favourite with children and adults.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. shredded coconut
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 4 firm bananas
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Honey to serve
- Sift the flour, baking soda into a large bowl. Stir in the granulated sugar and the egg, and whisk in just enough of water to make quite a thin batter.
- Whisk the shredded coconut and sesame seeds into the batter so that they are evenly distributed.
- Peel, the bananas, carefully cut each one in half lengthways, then in half crossways to make pieces of about same size. Don’t do this until you are ready to cook them because, once peeled, bananas quickly discolour.
- Heat the oil in a wok. Dip the banana pieces in the batter, then gently drop a few into the oil. Deep fry until golden brown, then lift out and drain well on kitchen paper.
- Serve immediately with honey.