This simple potato, flour, and egg recipe is one recipe which I make very often. It is a Great Italian comfort food doesn’t get better than homemade gnocchi.
These easy gnocchi are delicious with browned butter and any pasta sauce. I have made it with basil pesto sauce. You can also use red pasta sauce or white sauce. All the sauces go well with this recipe!
- 500 grams Potato
- 2 – 3 cups of all-purpose Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tbsp. Salt
- 2-3 tbsp. Pesto Sauce
- 7-8 Basil
- In a large boil the potatoes with skin on.Remove potatoes and drain well.Allow them to cool.
- Peel the boil potatoes, removing any brown spots that might be below the skin.
- Mound riced potato on the middle of a wooden board or a clean, dry countertop. Top with flour. Sprinkle with salt.
- Using your hands, scoop out the center of your mound and break an egg into the center. Beat the egg with a fork.
- Use your hands to combine ingredients and knead to form a dough. Cut dough into 8-10 piece.
- Roll each piece by gently pushing with fingers spread.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut dough ropes into 1-inch pieces. Cut ends at an angle.
- Use a fork to create ridges or indent gently with your thumb.This process isn’t necessary but adds to the aesthetic of your final dish.
- Gently shake away any excess flour and place finished gnocchi in a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook gnocchi until they float to the top, about 2-4 minutes.
- Gently remove them with a slotted spoon, drain very well.
- Toss them in a saucepan with butter and pesto sauce and cook together for about 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with some basils.