Punjabi Kadhi is a sour curd kadhi having deep fried gram flour fritter (besan pakora) submerged in it is a very delicious and spicy recipe.
Kadhi Pakora is one of the most famous and common dishes in Punjab. I have learned about this dish after my marriage from my Mother in law.
Enjoy this spicy and delicious Punjabi Kadhi Pakora with steamed rice.
- 1 cup Gram flour (besan)
- ½ tbsp.Carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ tbsp.Onion finely chopped
- ¼ tbsp.Turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp.Red chilli powder
- Baking soda a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep-frying
- 1 cup Sour yogurt
- 4 tbsp. Gram flour (Besan)
- 1 tbsp. Ginger-garlic-green chilli paste
- ½ tbsp. Red chilli powder
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 4-5 Black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. Cumin seeds
- Asafoetida a pinch
- ½ tbsp. Ginger chopped
- 3-4 Dried red chillies broken
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- To make the Pakoras, combine carom seeds, onion, gram flour, turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and baking soda in a bowl. Mix well using sufficient water to make a soft mixture.
- Heat oil in a wok. Drop small portions of gram flour mixture into the hot oil and deep-fry till golden. Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- To make kadhi, combine yoghurt, gram flour, ginger-garlic-green chilli paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt in a bowl. Add 500 ml water and whisk, add more water if required.
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan then add peppercorns, cumin seeds, and sauté for a minute.
- Add asafoetida, chopped ginger and red chillies, mix and sauté.
- Add onion and sauté until the onion is translucent and then add the Kadhi mixture and cook for 10 -15 minutes in medium heat.
- Once the Kadhi is ready to add the pakoras and cook for a minute.
- Serve hot with steam rice.