Star fruit also known as Carambola, when sliced, it resembles a star, due to which it is named as star fruit. Firm, shiny star fruit that are yellow in color can be very sweet and delicious, not sour at all.
The entire fruit is edible and taste like crisp and juicy grapes and green apple. Low in calories, rich in antioxidants and packed with vitamin C, fiber, sodium and very ideal for helping people lose weight.
I personally love this fruit and often make chutney’s. Today I am sharing one of my
favorite Chutney recipes of star fruit, which tastes sweet and sour.
- 500 grams. star fruit (thinly sliced)
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp. panch phoran
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tbsp. mustard oil
- 3-4 tbsp. sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups. water
- Heat mustard oil in a pan and add dry chillies, panch phoran and the star fruit and cook until the star frit turn little brown and soft.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and sugar mix well.
- Finally add water and let it cook for 4-5 minutes, covered with a lid.
- Serve with Roti or Rice or as an accompaniment.