Here is the best recipe you can surprise your friends and family. Dum Aloo is most famous Indian curry of Kashmir, North India, and is a part of the traditional Kashmiri Pandit cuisine, from the Kashmir Valley. Dum potatoes (aloo) are traditionally made whole.
It is a thick yoghurt based curry prepared with baby potatoes in Spicy Vibrant curd based gravy, a delicious recipe from the Kashmiri cuisine. Serve this with hot rice, naan or roti.
Adding curd to this curry brings a different dimension and taste to this beautiful thick curry and it has spices like Kashmiris red chilli powder, ginger powder, fennel powder which is aromatic and combines to give a lovely warm flavour to the whole dish.
This will be the best tasting, authentic and tender whole potato curry you will ever enjoy!
- 500 gram. Baby potatoes
- 3-4 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds (shah jeera)
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. hing (dissolve in water)
- 1 tsp. fennel powder
- 1 tsp. dry ginger powder
- 2 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/2 turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup curd
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leave
- Put the potatoes in a cooker with 2 cups of water. Pressure cook to give 2 whistles. Remove from fire and put under running water to release pressure. Cool the potatoes.
- Peel and prick the cooled potatoes all over with a fork.
- Heat the oil and deep fry potatoes altogether, to a rich golden brown colour.
- In a Pan heat the oil, add caraway seeds, clove, bay leaves, cinnamon. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add hing water. Cook for 1 minute and then add red chilli powder, fennel powder, ginger powder, turmeric powder and 1 cup water.
- Add the fried potatoes and curd, when you are adding the curd with a spoon or whisk, stir continuously, so that the curd does not split.
- Cover and simmer until very little gravy remains and oil floats on top.
- Garnish with coriander leave and serve hot with boiled rice, naan or roti.