Kumro Saag | Kumro Saag Chorchori | Pumpkin Leave Recipe
Kumro Saag; is one of my winning dish in the Best Saag Category. It is one of the popular Bengali saag and made in a different variation. Though in Delhi, it is not really available all the time, but whenever I find them in my local vegetable market, I buy them or I go to CR Park Market to buy them.
Recently, this Kumro saag has become available almost every day in my local market.
I love making different variation of this saag and to name some, Kumro saag with Masoor/ Moong/ Chana dal, Kumro saager pathuri, Kumro saag chorchori.
The recipe that I am going to share today is one of my Mom’s variations which she uses to make during this Monsoon season. Kumro saag with jackfruit seeds, dal vadi, panch phoran, mustard paste.
It tastes heavenly with hot boiled rice.
- 500-gram kumro saag (pumpkin leaves)
- 2 tbsp. mustard oil
- 1 tbsp. panch phoran (Bengali five spice)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 red chilli
- 2 green chillies
- Sugar to taste
- 1 tbsp. mustard paste (grinded in silpatta with pinch of salt, 1 tsp. kashkhas, 1 green chilli)
- 10 – 12 jackfruit seeds
- Bengali urad dal vadi
- Wash the pumpkin leaves under running water.
- In a Pan heat 3-4 cups of water with salt and into this put the jackfruit seeds and pumpkin leaves and boil it for 4-5 minutes, turn of the gas and let it cool.
- Heat a Pan and slightly fry the dal vadi until it turns little brown, remove from heat and keep aside.
- In the same pan put 2 tbsp. mustard oil, panch phoran and red chill broke into half.
- Add the jackfruit seeds and sauté for 2 minutes and then add the pumpkin leaves. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes by covering with a lid.
- Remove the lid and put sugar, salt, turmeric powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Now, add the green chilli, mustard paste and mix well and cook for another 2-3 minute by covering with the lid.
- Then add the dal vadi, mix carefully, so that vadi doesn’t break and finally add some mustard oil and mix well and immediately turn off the gas and keep the saag aside for few minutes covered with the lid.
- Serve the saag with boiled rice.