Methi Malai Matar
Today I have for you all a famous North Indian dish that’s very common in restaurants, parties and get together. It’s very tasty, aromatic yet easy to make. Busting with flavours of fresh methi leaves this creamy gravy tastes just awesome, needs no introduction and it’s on the top list of best vegetarian dishes.
It is a very popular Punjabi dish made with fresh fenugreek leaves (methi leaves), green peas, cream and spices. It is rich and creamy and is usually served as a side dish for roti, parathas and naan.
Methi and matar are a super-hit combination as their flavours complement each other well and it is also quite healthy as Fenugreek leaves have amazing medicinal properties and help in reducing cholesterol and controlling diabetes.
Simple ingredients but a fine-dining experience at home!
- 2 cups chopped fenugreek leaves
- 3/4 cup of boiled peas
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup milk
- a pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh cream
To be ground in smooth paste using (little water)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped onion
- 4 green chillies
- 1 tbsp. chopped ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. cashew
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds
For dry spice
- 1 cinnamon stick small
- 4 cloves
- 3 cardamom
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- Wash the fenugreek leaves, sprinkle 1/2 tsp. of salt and keep aside for 15 minutes. Squeeze out the water and discard it.
- Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle add the fenugreek leaves and saute on a medium flame for 2 to 3 Remove the fenugreek leaves and keep aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp. of oil in the same pan, add onions and saute on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till they turn translucent.
- Add the prepared paste and saute on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato pulp and dry spice powder mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas, sauteed fenugreek, milk, sugar, salt, fresh cream and approx 2 tbsp. of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.