Moroccan Apricot Chicken
Moroccan apricot chicken
The original apricot chicken, slow-cooked on the bone with spices is a very simple Chicken tagine with apricots recipe for you to cook a great meal for family or friends.
The dish has so much going on and the smell of this was driving me crazy as it cooked and didn’t disappoint. Lovely juicy chicken with a hint of spice and sweetness from apricot creates a fairytale dish.
You can relish this with hot rice.
- 500 gram. Chicken pieces (thigh cutlets with bone)
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 small brown onions,(finely chopped)
- 1 tsp. Cumin powder
- 1 tsp. Coriander powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp. grated/ chopped ginger
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
- 2 cups chicken stock/ corn-starch dissolve in water
- 7-8 dried apricots
- Fresh coriander leaves/ basil leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp. black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or casserole dish over medium-high heat.
- Cook half the chicken for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Melt butter in the dish. Stir in onion for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in cumin, ground coriander, cinnamon, ginger and saffron for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Stir in the tomato puree. Add chicken, stock, and apricots. Bring to the boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and turn the chicken. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until tender. Top with basil leaves.