Lotus stems cook with mild aromatic spices and yoghurt is a speciality of Kashmir.
It is actually a root vegetable and it is a very crunchy and delicate flavoured veggie with a rich source of dietary fibre and is packed with Vitamin C.
This is a healthy recipe called Nadru Ki Yakni. It’s easy to make and goes well Rice or Roti.
- 500 gram Lotus stem ( cut into thin slices)
- ½ tbsp. Black cardamom powder
- ½ tbsp. Fennel powder
- ½ tbsp. Ginger powder
- ¼ tbsp. Cinnamon powder
- 4-5 Green Cardamom
- 4-5 Clove
- 1 tbsp. cumin seed
- ½ tbsp. Asafoetida (Hing)
- 2-3 Green chilli chopped
- 1 cup curd
- 2 tbsp. Gram flour (Besan)
- 2 tbsp. clarified butter (Ghee)
- Salt to taste
- In a Skillet put 2 cups of water and let it boil.
- Once the water starts boiling add the black cardamom powder, fennel powder, ginger powder, cinnamon powder, green cardamom, clove and the Lotus stems and let it cook for 12- 15 minutes and keep aside.
- In a bowl mix the curd and gram flour and pour it into the skillet. Let it cook for another 8- 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small frying pan heat the ghee and into it add the cumin seed, Asafoetida, and green chillies, once it starts sparkling add it to the Yakhni and mix well.
- Serve the Nadru Yakhni with Flatbread or Rice.