Bhee is the Sindhi word for Lotus stem; this is usually served in most Sindhi’s homes during special occasions.
It is a very famous and delectable vegetarian dish from Sindhi Cuisine which is prepared using lotus stem and potatoes in a flavorful onion and tomato base. It looks great on your plate and is definitely something that any guest does not eat every day.
Lotus stems are crunchy, delicate flavoured and fibrous in a state, whether boiled, deep-fried, steamed, it remains crisp yet tender.
It is also good for your health! It is low in cholesterol and high in fibre – good for blood, heart and digestion! And the best part of this vegetable: it tastes great!
- 200-gram bhee diced (Lotus stem diced)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ginger finely chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- Coriander leaves
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cup water
- Place lotus stems in a pressure cooker, add 1 cup water and boil till the first whistle.
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan.
- Add ginger, green chilli, onions and saute on low flame till the onion are golden brown.
- Dice potatoes and add them to the pan.
- Now add the boiled lotus stem into the pan and stir well.
- Then add the coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt and stir well for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add the tomato puree and few coriander leaves. Stir for 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of boiling water, mix and cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for 5-7 minutes on low flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Rice or Roti.