Thailand has a fine repertoire of salads and cold dishes. Combination of fresh and cooked vegetables, often with a little protein (Chicken, prawn, tofu, etc ).
The dressing is seldom oil-based; they tend to be tart, sweet and spicy mixtures, made by Thai fish sauce, lime juice, tamarind juice, and rice vinegar.
The symphony of flavours is well orchestrated in this salad.
- 2 cups raw papaya grated/shredded
- 2 cups carrots grated/shredded
- 1 cups cucumber grated/thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 tbsp. coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp. roasted peanut
- 1 tbsp. roasted sesame seeds
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Thai red chilli, chopped
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl add the papaya, carrot, cucumber, onion and the peanuts.
- Using a mortar and pestle smash red chilli and garlic, then add fish sauce, lemon juice.
- Remove and pour the dressing to the vegetable and toss it nicely. Add salt as per your taste.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve cold.