There is nothing quite like this zesty refreshing orange cake. The beautiful cake smells and tastes wonderful.
One can imagine how nice it will be to cut off a little slice and have it with coffee when the afternoon starts to drag or at your next morning tea.
I love the way this cake looks and this beautiful upside-down orange cake is the perfect dessert recipe for a special occasion and will brighten up everyone’s day, as it’s unique.
Prepare time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
Ready in: 55 min
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 navel oranges
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾th cup granulated sugar
- ¼th cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. In the bottom of 10-inch cake mold, spread butter. Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar.
- From oranges, grate 1 teaspoon peel; set aside. Cut peel and pith from oranges; discard. Slice oranges crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices; arrange in single layer over sugar in a mold (if necessary, cut 1 or 2 slices into pieces to fit into spaces).
- In a large bowl, with wire whisk, combine flour, granulated sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk milk, oil, egg, vanilla, and orange peel until blended.
- With a mixer on low speed, add milk mixture to flour mixture and beat until blended. Increase speed to medium and beat 1 minute. Spoon batter over oranges and spread evenly.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in skillet on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around side of cake to loosen from skillet. Place platter on top of skillet; carefully invert cake onto platter. Remove skillet. Let cool 30 minutes.