Black Carrot Kanji
There is one vegetable that is truly a nutritional hero then it is bound to be the carrot; a goldmine of nutrients.
My Mother-in-law told me, she and her family would make Kanji using black (dark purple) carrots. If these carrots were unavailable, they’d add beetroot with the regular orange carrot to help darken the colour of the drink.
Kaanji is a special North Indian fermented drink made with the goodness of black carrot (kali gajar) along with ground mustard.
It is a deliciously tangy and spicy Indian drink very popular in Northern India, especially in Punjab.
A fermented black carrot kanji is not known to many but it helps in stimulating the appetite and has a bite to it because of the raw carrots.
Black Carrot Juice is a Blood Cleanser. It has a high content of Vitamin A, C, Iron and Selenium, fibrous in nature and the black carrot juice helps in a healthy digestion.
There is hardly any work involved. So by spending only 10 minutes, you get this awesome drink you can serve your guests. Do try this easy to follow recipe today.
- 250-gram Black carrot (thinly sliced)
- 2 coarsely grind gooseberry (Amla)
- 2 tbsp. Black salt
- 1 tbsp. red chilli
- 2 tbsp. split yellow mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- Fill the earthen pot with 4 litres of water.
- Add carrot and gooseberry.
- Add black salt, red chilli powder and mix well.
- Add split yellow mustard seeds and mix well.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Cover the earthen pot with a damp muslin cloth and set aside for 4 -5 days in sunlight for the fermentation.
- Transfer to a glass and serve.