“Kala Chana Soup”, it is known as Pallah in Patiala (Punjab). Now days in some restaurants it is served as “Chane ka shorba”.
I had this first time at my in-laws place in Patiala as this soup is a specialty of Patiala and this is made using the boiled water of Black chickpeas (Kala Chana) and served with few drops of lemon juice, fresh chopped onion and coriander along with some boiled chickpeas.
This is considered and consumed as one of the healthiest soup in Punjab (Patiala). It boosts up the strength of your body. Black chickpea is a good source of minerals, vitamins and fiber and are very high in protein.
- 250 grams black chickpeas
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 tsp. crushed black pepper
- 2 chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- 2 cup water
- Wash and soak the black chickpeas overnight.
- In a pressure cook put the black chickpeas with 2 cups of water, green chilies, shallots, ginger, salt and black pepper and cook it for 4-5 whistles.
- Once the pressure cooker releases the steam, put the chickpeas into a bowl and the soup water in a separate bowl.
- Now, in a blender add one spoon full of boiled chickpea along with the soup water and give it a nice blend.
- Now in a saucepan add butter and the blended soup, adjust the seasoning if required.
- Serve hot with some freshly chopped onion, coriander, few drops of lemon juice and some boiled chickpeas.