Gokul Pithe Recipe
The most important aspect of the famous ‘Makar Sakranti’ festival is the mouth-watering desserts during this time. Gokul pithe is one of those traditional Bengali desserts which is prepared during Makar Sankranti along with puli pitha or vapa pitha, dudh puli, patishapta and other delicacies which are so good.
Although it is not as popular and tasty as the other desserts and people don’t bother to make it anymore.
Pitha is generally made from rice flour or wheat flour with a different kind of shape & filled with some stuffed sweet ingredients like coconut or khoya. You can also add moong dal and some dry fruits.
However, this Gokul pithe is made with coconut and khoya dipped in the all-purpose flour batter, deep fried and soaked in sugar syrup. But I have given it a twist by soaking it into an orange syrup flavored with star anise. Believe me, it turned out awesome.
You might have tried Gulab Jamuns and Rasgullas, but your next priority should ideally be Gokul Pithe. It is a great sweet dish.
- 200 grams. Coconut (grated)
- 450 grams. Khoya/ Mawa
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2-3 Star Anise
- 150 grams. all-purpose flour
- 5-6 cup fresh orange juice
- 40 grams. Ghee
- First, make sugar syrup by heating 1 cups sugar with 4 cups of fresh Orange juice in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add the star anise and simmer until the syrup gets a medium thick consistency. Remove from the flame and allow it to cool.
- To prepare the filling, fry the coconut, khoya and 2 tbsp of sugar together in a pan over medium flame. Stir continuously to avoid the filling getting stuck at the bottom of the pan. Turn off the flame.
- To make cakes, divide the coconut-khoya mixture into equal portions. Roll them into balls and flatten between the palms to form the cakes. Powder palms with flour for ease in forming the cakes.
- Now make the batter by mixing flour, remaining water, and a little ghee together.
- Heat ghee in a pan and coat coconut-milk cakes in the prepared batter.
- Deep fry until a rich golden brown color. Remove cakes from the pan with slotted spoon.
- Drain excess oil on paper and while still hot, immerse the cakes in the orange sugar syrup.