I have been craving for this since the last few days. So, made it beat the heat this year with chilled Mishti Doi made at home. It is the sweet version of yoghurt and traditional Bengali dessert and a punch line of every Bengali meal.
A highly nutritious food, rich in calcium, it is now widely produced. It has been regarded as an aid to digestion. Add glow to your skin, strengthen the immune system and reduces the risk of blood pressure.
A versatile, nourishing milk food, with a smooth texture and mildly sour flavor. It is consumed in many parts of the world. Made by adding lactic- acid-producing bacteria cultures to heated milk, then set it aside in a warm place to ferment. The process thickens the milk, while the acid adds a distinctive sour tang.
Because of its technique of preparation, it differs from the plain yogurt. In addition to plain, unflavoured, or natural variety yogurt is available in many sweetened and flavored versions.
Today I am sharing of the most popular “Mishti Doi”, which is made with milk, jaggery (nolen gur) and hung curd. You can use sugar and curd culture instead of jaggery and hung curd. Though I have made the hung curd at home which is very easy to make. Stain the yoghurt/ curd through a cloth, usually muslin, to remove the excess moisture, resulting in a thick, creamy texture and a mild, full flavor.
It is prepared by boiling the milk until it is slightly thickened, sweetening it with jaggery and adding hung curd. Allowing it to ferment overnight.
- 2 liter of milk
- 500-gram jaggery
- 4-5 tbsp. hung curd
- 2-3 cardamom
- 2 tbsp. Water
- Heat the milk in a heavy based pan along with the cardamom and reduce it to ⅓ rd its quantity, remove the cardamom and keep aside.
- Heat the jaggery in a saucepan and melt it by adding water, let it cool.
- Add the jaggery to the lukewarm milk and stir well.
- Add hung curd and stir it nicely, so that there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into a clay pot and keep in a warm place to set for 5-6 hours.
- Once set put it into the refrigerator to chill.
- Serve chilled.