Tandoori Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe
What can I say about this dish, the name says it all – Paneer Tikka Masala.
It is an all-time favourite North Indian main course recipe and a vegetarian alternative to chicken tikka masala.
Paneer Tikka Masala is basically a marinated paneer cube grilled to perfection and then cooked in spicy gravy is delicious in every bite. The burnt taste of paneer marinated in curd and spices gives it a delighting flavour.
This can be enjoyed with most Indian Bread like Roti, Tandoori Naan, Butter naan, Paratha etc as well as with Rice varieties like Jeera Rice or plain rice.
The looks of the dish are exotic and its tastes yum!!
If you have sudden guests, try this dish.
For Paneer Tikka Marinade
- 400 gram. paneer (cottage cheese cut into cubes)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. yoghurt/curd
- 1 tbsp. oil
For the Gravy
- 3 medium size tomatoes
- 1 green pepper adjust to your taste
- 1 tbsp. oil
- ½ cumin seeds (jeera)
- Pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- ½ red chilli powder (Kashmiri Mirch)
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped coriander
- ½ garam masala
- Slice the paneer in about 1/8 inch thick and about in one-inch squares.
- Mix ginger, salt, pepper, coriander, and yoghurt with sliced paneer in a bowl, cover it and let the mixture marinate for at least an hour.
- Blend tomatoes and green chillies to make a puree and keep aside.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons of water and keep aside. Cornstarch is used to give thickness to the gravy.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in flat frying pan on medium heat, making sure to oil the entire surface of the pan.
- Next, put the marinated paneer in frying pan and gently stir-fry for about 3 to 4 minutes until paneer becomes light brown.
- Take out the paneer in a bowl and use the same frying pan to make the gravy.
- To prepare the gravy, add 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add cumin seeds and asafetida after seeds crack add bay leaves and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, red chilli powder, sugar, and cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the cornstarch mix stir for few minutes till the sauce thickens.
- Add the stir-fry paneer in the tomato gravy and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes on low medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and add chopped coriander and garam masala stir slowly and cover the pan for few minutes.
- Serve hot with your choice of Indian bread or over the rice.