Tomatoes - Health Benefits and Nutritional Facts
| |

Tomatoes – Health Benefits and Nutritional Facts

This fruit is a tropical plant grown in almost all temperature climates and is an essential ingredient across world cuisine. The high tomato season is summer through early autumn. There are varieties of tomatoes available, however, the commonly used varieties are Globe tomatoes, Plum tomatoes, and Cherry tomatoes.

The best way to store tomatoes is to keep them at room temperature, not in the fridge unless they are very ripe.

Although strictly a fruit, tomatoes are widely used as a vegetable in savory dishes. They are rich in beta-carotene, Vitamin-C, and Lycopene – a superstar of medicinal food substances and the source of their vibrant red color. Lycopene has been found to reduce the risk of prostate and breast cancer, lower cholesterol, protect eyes and skin, and boost immunity.

Tomato helps remove toxins from the body

Tomato helps remove toxins from the body

Tomatoes are abundant in potassium, which reduces water retention. They are also a good source of glutathione, which helps the body to remove fat-soluble toxins.

Tomato helps keep blood vessels supple

Tomatoes contain large amounts of Vitamin C and E and beta-carotene, all of which support heart health. However, lycopene is most important, it helps strengthen the walls of blood vessels and remove cholesterol from the blood.

Tomato reduces the risk of prostate cancer

Tomato reduces the risk of prostate cancer

Many cancers are linked with oxidative stress caused by free radicals in the body, and antioxidant foods, such as tomatoes, are known to be preventive. Research into prostate cancer shows that regularly eating raw or cooked tomatoes can reduce its development and spread.

Nutritional Facts

Tomatoes have higher water content. The approximate water content in tomatoes is 95% and the rest of the 5% contains primarily carbohydrates and fiber.

The nutrients in the serving size of 100g raw tomato are:

  • Calories: 18%
  • Water: 95%
  • Protein: 0.9g
  • Carbohydrates: 3.9g
  • Fiber: 1.2g
  • Sugar: 2.6g
  • Fat: 0.2g

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *