Baklava is a Turkish sweet dessert pastry made of layers of phyllo sheet filled with chopped nuts, sweetened and held together with syrup or honey. It’s a pastry that comes in many different varieties. Basically, it’s a party in your mouth.
It is one of those desserts that has a reputation for difficulty but is actually surprisingly easy to make.
Prepare time: 10 min
Cook time: 40 min
Ready in: 50 min
- 1 packet Pastry sheet/ Phyllo sheet
- ½ cup finely chopped pistachio
- ½ tsp. cinnamon powder
- 200 grams butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- In a small bowl mix the pistachio and cinnamon powder and keep aside.
- Trim or cut the pastry sheet as per the size of baking tray. Place the pastry sheet into a baking tray one at a time, brushing each sheet with butter. Add 4-5 sheets and spread pistachio mixture. Repeat it to make 7-8 layers.
- Cut the pastry into square or diagonal shape and bake it in a preheated oven of 180 degree for 30-40 minutes.
- In a saucepan, add the sugar, water and lemon juice and bring it to boil over medium , stirring until the sugar is dissolve and boil for another 3-4 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and let the syrup cool while baking the baklava.
- Remove the baklava from oven and immediately spoon the cooled syrup evenly over the hot baklava. Let the baklava cool completely, uncovered at room temperature.
- Garnish baklava with finely chopped pistachios.